Skin and coat issues may be one of the major concerns on hamsters. There are various possible causes of this issue. Allow us to cite some:
1. Contact bedding allergies. Constant exposure to wet/ dirty beddings may predispose to skin problems and fur loss.
2. Bacterial/fungal skin conditions
3. Barbering or constant chewing
4. Skin Injuries related to fighting
5. Urine scald
6. Dietary deficiencies
7. Amyloidosis, hormonal imbalances and other physiological medical condition arising due to ageing.
Amidst these possible causes, we suggest to provide well balanced diet and provide a warmth, clean cage (environment). Clean legibly too the exercise wheels once their urinate on such areas, as well as provide clean and dry beddings at all times.
For other related information, feel free to visit and talk to our Pete Care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.
With warm regards,
Eliezer M. Bauzon, DVM RN