Home    |    What's New    |    Company Information    |    Our Services    |    Locations    |    Members' Lounge    |    View Cart

Author Topic: Rabbit sneezing  (Read 3745 times)

felise_900

Rabbit sneezing
« on: 03-February-2013 03:05:50 »
Hello,

I have a 6 week old holland lop. Yesterday I noticed her having a little sneeze about every 5 minutes. Today, she sneezes like a horn. I don't really know if it is a sneeze.. She had a little bit of a wet nose but not so much now.. I only had her for about 1-2 weeks.. The only difference in her cage is when I put a odourless bedding for her toilet. What is wrong? I'm worried!

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
Re: Rabbit sneezing
« Reply #1 on: 04-February-2013 09:18:32 »
Hi Felise,

Sneezing is a common sign of a upper respiratory tract issues. It can be due to irritation on the nasal cavity (nose area) due to the presence of minute foreign objects such as hay dusts, or dusts emanating from the beddings. We suggest to keep the bedding dry and clean and eliminate hay dusts, if this is the case.

Another common cause of these respiratory issues is a poor ventilated cage which eventually accumulates ammonia that causes respiratory irritation leading to sneezing as one of its common signs.

There are other common causes, such as the opportunistic bacteria "Pasteurella multocida". This bacteria can be a normal commensal in the respiratory tract (nasopharynx) of your rabbit and its disease- causing capability is only triggered by stress, poor ventilation and similar environmental situations.  This is one of the causes of snuffles, signs include but not limited to runny eyes, runny nose, as well as sneezing.   We suggest to provide a healthy and a well balanced diet as well as providing good ambient environment. This would help your rabbit strengthen its immune system to combat this common infection.  In addition, an adjunct veterinary medication is necessary if this infection is suspected to foster recovery and healing.

If signs persist, refer immediately to your veterinarian.

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet Care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.

With best regards,

Eliezer M. Bauzon, DVM RN
« Last Edit: 04-February-2013 09:25:16 by Pet Care Consultant »

felise_900

« Reply #2 on: 04-February-2013 09:58:20 »
Hello,

Thanks alot! She sneezes when she is near things like cloth and carpets. Without those thing she sneezes less. She seems abit less active this morning but her nose is dry. What other food can I give her now? I heard that I shouldn't give a baby rabbit vegetables at this stage.

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
« Reply #3 on: 04-February-2013 10:40:53 »
Hi Felise,

In this case, it can possibly due to allergens from cloth or carpets, that triggers sneezing on the part of your rabbit.  Controlling such objects to come near to your pet is essential to avoid excessive unwanted reactions.

With regards to type of food, your pet is on its 6th weeks old.  If the age is based from the time of birth, then a baby rabbit food should be given to ensure optimal growth and maintain good, quality health of your pet.

If the age, however, is based from the time of purchase (say for example, upon purchase, your rabbit is 3 months old, plus another 6 weeks which has a total of almost 4 1/2 months old), then we may suggest to have a transition feeding period.  This means, you may start mixing a baby rabbit food to a new adult rabbit food. As a guide, rabbit that falls within the age of 4- 4 1/2 months old and above, you may start an adult rabbit food. We would like to highllight further, that transition is important (mixing of the current pet food to a new food) to avoid intestinal upsets.

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet Care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.

With best regards,

felise_900

« Reply #4 on: 04-February-2013 01:31:11 »
Thats the time from her birth. She's still sneezing without those things around her. Perhaps a little sneeze every 3 mins? The only thing in contact would then be he bedding or cloth. So I'm not sure if she's sick or allergic. And thus can I feed her vegetables and fruits? If so what types? Thanks in advance :)

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
« Reply #5 on: 04-February-2013 01:47:20 »
Hi Felise,

As you've identified the possible causes of the materials/substances that leads to sneezing, we suggest to try to remove the cloth or change the type of bedding if you suspect it.  To have an appropriate diagnosis, a veterinary visit is highly recommended.

In addition, you may provide them with these various fruits/veggies as a treat or snacks (minimal amounts), on top of the regular rabbit diet.  (No fruit seeds maybe given over time). Monitor for your pet's response (i.e. soft stool, diarrhea) and stop when these signs are shown. 

With best regards,

felise_900

« Reply #6 on: 04-February-2013 05:30:59 »
Alright thank you so much!

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
« Reply #7 on: 04-February-2013 05:41:14 »
Hi Felise,

You're very much welcome.  It's our pleasure to serve you.

Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance and clarifications.

With best regards,

E-mail Exclusives
E-mail address
Shipping Info
Track an Order
Help
Home What's New Company Information Our Services Members' Lounge
Products
Pet Adoption
Forum
Journal