Home    |    What's New    |    Company Information    |    Our Services    |    Locations    |    Members' Lounge    |    View Cart

Author Topic: kitten hair loss using Frontline  (Read 5309 times)

parysa.m

kitten hair loss using Frontline
« on: 25-January-2013 02:35:02 »
Hi there,

I have bought a 3month old kitten on Jan-18th. He is a colorpoint persian. As it had fleas the vet recommended using frontline. After I put the Frontline combo he started to have hair fall specially on the spot. But generally he is doing fine, very active, response fast and eat very well, and is gaining more weight than first I bought him. I am very concerned about his skin and fur as it is not looking very well. Also he had his last vaccine on the day that I bought him so they recommend not to wash him till 10 days to get healthier and stronger. Any suggestion to care after or supplements for him? I dont want to use another strong medication as he is only a kitten. I am a member at PLC and have access to the IPC store.

Thanks,
Parysa

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +7/-3
Re: kitten hair loss using Frontline
« Reply #1 on: 25-January-2013 09:48:01 »
Hi Parysa,

Thank you for your enquiry on such matter.

Fipronil, which is the active ingredients of the product you used to your cat ,may be associated with some unwanted reactions such as skin issues with or without pruritus (intense itching or hair loss). It does not imply however, that the product causes such reactions at all times, but its occurence is minimal and possible.

In relation to skin and coat supplements, high contents of omega fatty acids such those from fish oils or flaxseed oils may help regain and foster skin and coat health.  There are available products containing such ingredients which are intended for pets.

In addition, we suggest further to refer to your veterinarian, regarding the occurence of such reactions from your cat for proper assessment and appropriate clinical treatment steps. This referral is important in order for your attending vet to be aware of the reactions, so alternative medications may be prescribed.

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet Care Consultants in all our PLC Outlets.

With Best regard,

Eliezer M. Bauzon, DVM RN

« Last Edit: 25-January-2013 10:41:47 by Pet Care Consultant »

parysa.m

« Reply #2 on: 25-January-2013 05:38:58 »
Thank you very much for your prompt answer and for the help.

I just talked to his vet. He suggested that I send a photo of the kitten skin so if it is not serious he will let me know to buy some sort of Antihistamines for the allergy or if need more care I'll take the kitten to him. Do you know if these prescriptions will be safe for the kitten and for its tommy? Cause my kitten was not very strong and just recently started to gain more weight and eat more. At first he was very thin and his food portions were very small and had lots of left over on his bowl. I dont want to make more problems for him as I am already very sad from what happened to his skin after the use of frontline.

Regards,
Parysa

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +7/-3
« Reply #3 on: 26-January-2013 09:22:24 »
Hi Parysa,

Antihistamines are one of the medications for allergic reactions.  They are safe once they these medications are given on the correct dose, dosage interval and length of consumption(prescribed by your veterinarian).

In addition, your attending veterinarian usually assesses you pet's clinical status and the reactions once medication commences.  There are unwanted side though, can be controlled by proper dosage and monitoring. If unsual signs are observed refer back immediately to your vet.

Just to highlight, however, that these medications are masking only the reactions of your pets to certain allergens/ allergenic substances, hence deliberate and avoidance of these culprit or cause of the allergic reactions (allergens) should be observed to prevent recurrence.

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet Care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.

With best regards,

Eliezer M. Bauzon, DVM RN

E-mail Exclusives
E-mail address
Shipping Info
Track an Order
Help
Home What's New Company Information Our Services Members' Lounge
Products
Pet Adoption
Forum
Journal