Home    |    What's New    |    Company Information    |    Our Services    |    Locations    |    Members' Lounge    |    View Cart

Author Topic: My hamster is drinking a lot of water.  (Read 3175 times)

min93

My hamster is drinking a lot of water.
« on: 15-October-2012 06:25:44 »
Hi, is it normal for hamsters to drink a lot of water?

I have 4 hamsters, 1 Syrian small size and 3 dwarf, (1 big size, 2 medium size).
The Syrian hamster drinks quite small amount of water. The 2 medium size dwarf hamster drinks quite a lot of water. And the big size dwarf hamster drinks a lot a lot of water.

May I know is it normal for it ti drink so much water? Because all my 4 hamsters eat the same type of food, and only one of them drinks a lot a lot of water. I am afraid that it may be suffering from illness. :(

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
Re: My hamster is drinking a lot of water.
« Reply #1 on: 16-October-2012 09:06:34 »
Hi Min93,

Let's base the water consumption of a syrian hamster which is roughly 30-45 ml per hamster everday. The water intake is affected two important factors.

1. Environmental climate and exercise.  Warm and always having an exercise (on the hamster exercise wheel) will cause increase water intake.

2. Medical conditions in hamster such as diabetes will also cause excessive drinking of water.

Lastly, check too, the water bottle itself.  As water drippings from the bottle to the beddings can mistakenly be calculated as water intake. Hence, good quality water bottle is recommended.

Regardless of the suspected causes stated above, always ensure adequate amount of fresh and potable water accessible to your pet hamsters. 

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet Care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.

Warm regards,

Eliezer M. Bauzon, DVM RN

min93

« Reply #2 on: 16-October-2012 03:10:27 »
Hi Eliezer, I don't think that the bottle is dripping water because the bedding is not wet. I did not put any running wheel for this hamster. There is something white colour in one of its eye. It pees a lot too. Its size is very big as well. It seems to be overweight.
May I also know, what are the signs and symptoms of hamster having diabetes?
Will my hamster have heart problems also?

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
« Reply #3 on: 16-October-2012 03:45:07 »
Hi Min93,

Signs of diabetes on hamsters include but not limited to the following: It range from mild to severe signs.

Excessive thirst, Frequent urination, extreme appetite, dehydration, lethary, uncoordinated gait are some major signs that can be shown by a diabetic pet.   The onset of this medical condition ranges from 3 to 10 months of age (hamsters) and can only be confirmed through diagnostic laboratory workouts done by your veterinarian. Signs stated above are only tentative that needs confirmatory check.

Heart problems on hamsters can be possible and often at the onset of old age (>1.5 years).  Signs would show difficulty of breathing as well as lack of energy.

For other related information, please visit and talk to our Pet care Consultants in all our PLC outlets.  For diagnostic procedures, refer promptly to your veterinarian for pinpointing the suggestive medical condition of your pet.

Best regards,

min93

« Reply #4 on: 18-October-2012 12:06:28 »
Hi Eliezer, I observed my dwarf hamster. The fur around its eyes is a bit wet.
It seems that there is something coming out near to its private area, and it smells bad.  :'(

Pet Care Consultant

• Rating +5/-2
« Reply #5 on: 18-October-2012 10:22:15 »
Hi Min93,

We may suggest the following:
1. Avoid your hamster from excessive exposure to sand bath.  Sand bath should be removed and cleaned from time to time. Once left inside the cage, pee and poo will accumulate and can a contributory factor for skin issues.

2. Use soothing, mild, botanical antiseptic creams that helps lessen bacterial load on the affected area of your hamster. This would eventually help foster skin healing and promotes skin health, thereby reducing odor emitting from skin problems, if there are any.

3. Continue to keep your hamster's cage and bedding clean and dry at all times.  Wetness (i.e. on the beddings) are possible predisposing factors for skin infections.

4. Continue to provide good and top quality nutritional diet coupled with supplements to promote optimum health. Good diet helps prevent unwanted skin conditions.

If signs persist, refer to your veterinarian at once.

Warm regards,

« Last Edit: 19-October-2012 02:06:25 by Pet Care Consultant »

E-mail Exclusives
E-mail address
Shipping Info
Track an Order
Help
Home What's New Company Information Our Services Members' Lounge
Products
Pet Adoption
Forum